Thursday, August 25, 2011

More peas please

Last weekend I was gung-ho on making some baby food, so I bought a bag of frozen peas and whipped them up. It was SO easy I couldn't believe it. I actually think it took me longer to read the directions than to actually steam the peas, blend them, and put them in the freezer. They had been doing very well with their applesauce in the morning and rice cereal at dinner time so we tried the peas (just one cube for now) with their cereal at dinner time. I was a little nervous because personally peas aren't my favorite, and the only other flavorful food they've had is the sweet applesauce, but they just gobbled them up! I think they actually like the peas more than the rice cereal! Although I know they are just starting out, I can't believe how easy (and cheap) it is to make baby food. I literally bought one bag of peas for $1 and they will last for well over a week. I can't imagine how much that would have cost if I bought the jars! And its so easy to prep. It took at most 15 minutes to make the food (10 of that was steaming, so its not like I had to actively do anything during that time). Then once I transfer it to the trays, it takes only a few hours to freeze and then I just transfer them to a freezer bag until needed. I take out one cube for each of them and put it in a tupperware container the night before. Then I heat it in the microwave for 10 seconds before I use it. Even though it is not frozen anymore, it just seems like it would taste better a tad bit warm. Stir it up real quick and bingo, bango, we're ready to eat. I strongly recommend making food to anyone with, or having, a baby. It's easy, quick, and cheap, and it's also nice to know exactly what they are eating and not have to worry about any of those preservatives or additives they might put in the food!

I think this week I'm going to pick up some sweet potato and try making that. I might not start it for another week or so, but since they don't go bad in the freezer, I will make them now so they are ready once the peas are gone.

I have to apologize for not having any pictures with this post. This week has been quite busy and I'm still trying to adjust to this whole working thing. It's getting easier every day but that still doesn't mean I remember to snap pictures when we are playing after dinner. Hopefully this weekend I'll capture some.

No comments: