Friday, August 19, 2011

A bad end to a good week

Let's start with the good...
  • I went back to work on Monday and the boys have been spending the day with Grandma Frahm. The transition, in my eyes, has gone exceptionally well. They have been napping and eating well at her house (I was a bit concerned with napping, just because they would have a bit of a different routine), and coming home as smiley babies. They've been having lots of fun with Grandma, and Grandma seems to be having lots of fun with them!
  • Work actually hasn't been too bad. As most people know, last year, work was quite a mess administratively, but we have a new CEO and superintendent this year that already know our concerns from last year. Although we've been in Math training for most of the week and not with our own principal, I'm feeing more positive than last year, just based on the few interactions I've had with the principal. Hopefully it continues into next week..
  • Our basement is coming along. After a busy last weekend, Troy has spent some of his free moments this week cleaning up some of the things that weren't taken care of last weekend. He has just a few more small sections to dry wall and then we will start taping and mudding. We know it will be quite a project, but the basement already looks 10x better, so it can only get even better from here.
  • Bella has done an AWESOME job this week. In the past (prior to March when I was still working), we had been keeping her in the crate while we were at work. We weren't quite ready to leave her out to roam the house for the long period of time that we were working. Over the summer, I started leaving her out here and there and gradually increased time. We had been up to 6 hours and Troy figured that we wouldn't know how she'd do the whole day unless we just tried it, so we did. This week, she's been out for 7-8 hours at a time and has done well. No accidents, no chewing, nothing -- and so happy about it. Way to go Bella!
  • The boys have been eating pretty well. They've done better with the rice cereal and have been enjoying their applesauce. This weekend, I'm hoping to pull out my Beaba Babycook and make some peas. We'll see how that goes.
Now for the bad...
  • Last night I was just about to go to bed and went back into the living room to grab my pump to take upstairs for the morning. I was carrying all my things and about to head to the kitchen to get Bella a treat before bed and what happens? I walk into the corner of our couch -- its actually the couch that was downstairs, but because we're working on the basement, its in our living room right now. It sits directly on the floor, so my whole foot smacked into it. I walked a couple steps before looking down and realizing the pain I had, and couldn't believe what I saw. My right foot "ring toe" (the one next to the pinky) was totally crooked and when I picked my foot up to look at it better, it just hung there. NOT COOL! I freaked out as my foot started throbbing, so I sat down. Troy said I should go to the hospital because if it is dislocated, they will have to fix it before wrapping it up and stabilizing it. I am not a fan of hospitals and have never had a broken bone in my life. I've never gone to the emergency room so I was asking what I could do to fix it myself. I tried pushing it back over and heard a bit of a pop, so I thought I was okay, but then I looked back down and it went back to being crooked...bummer. So, Troy turned the tv off, said he'd go get the boys and we'd go a couple miles down the street to Crittendon. I really didn't want to have to wake the boys up, so we tried calling a friend that lived nearby to see if he could come over to watch the boys while Troy took me. He didn't answer, so it was either me go by myself or pack up the boys. Again, didn't want to disturb their sleeping, so I figured I'd try it on my own. I hobbled upstairs and that is when it started hurting to put any pressure on my foot, got clothes on (I had my pj's on already), and headed out. Since it was near 11pm, there were very few cars on the street, so my slow driving (from my foot hurting when I put pressure on the pedal) wasn't an issue. Got in and out of the ER in just over an hour -- very impressive Crittendon! I have a spiral fracture, meaning that the bone twisted as it broke, right where the toe connects to the foot. There isn't much you can do with broken toes but readjust it and tape it to the toe next to it. They asked if I wanted a "boot" to wear, which prevented my toes from bending as I walked, or crutches, and I opted for the boot. I found out I'd probably be in some pain for the next week or so, but ultimately it will take 4-6 weeks to heal. I already had some leftover pain medicine from my c-section, so I didn't take anymore, and they told me to follow up with my regular doctor next week. They wheeled me out to my car and I headed home! Not exactly the plan I had for the night, but I'm glad I was in and out so fast. As for today, I stayed home from work. They said I should be icing it and keeping it elevated as much as possible to reduce the swelling and today was a "work in your room" day at work. As much as I would have loved to get stuff done, that just wasn't practical. So, I'm home with my boys today and Troy is taking very good care of me! =)
As for this weekend, we are going to do as much as we can in the basement. After Troy finishes the drywall, we will start mudding the screws and then dealing with the seams and corners (which is going to be a bit more time consuming). Not sure how much I will be able to help since I shouldn't be standing, but maybe I can work from a chair and work on the lower areas. On Sunday, I will be heading to my moms for a scrapbooking day with her and Nicole. Looking forward to working on more of Ellis's album.

For now, here are a few pictures from this week. Ellis is showing off his strong leg skills and how he likes to use his legs to pin his toys between them! He also likes to pin our arm between his legs when we are feeding him his bouncer, when he sits in the boppy or bouncer. It's as if he wants to make sure we keep that bottle in his mouth!

Logan is back to the wanting-to-army-crawl days...Well this attempt isn't as good as others, but I love the little smiles he gives (and of course Ellis's squealing at the end!)


Happy Friday everyone!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I was wondering if you went to work today - so glad you stayed home! I love your photos and video. They are going to be mobile before you know it. :) Can't wait to see you Sunday!!

gramm said...

Hope your toe doesn't give you much pain. BTW, when Logan figures it out, we're in trouble. ha ha