Sunday, April 28, 2013

What a week!

This week has been filled with emotions, but I'm happy to report that it has ended on a good note!

Tuesday was the end of the math class I took this semester!  I don't think I've ever been so happy to finish a class.  This was by far the hardest, most time-consuming class I've ever taken.  I am also happy to say that I don't have to take another class from the slightly very arrogant professor I had.

Also, on Tuesday, the boys had a speech evaluation.  I wasn't really sure how much I was going to mention on here about it, but I'm one that likes to keep it real, not just highlighting the good times, so here goes.  The boys aren't talking as much as I felt they should be at this point, and of course I've heard that boys develop later than girls and multiples later than singletons, so our boys were likely to talk even later.  Well, I didn't want to wait it out for fear that if they did have some legitimate delay, we would delay getting them assistance, so I thought it was worth a shot to get them checked out. Knowing that I didn't talk until I was much past two and now I don't shut up, is promising that they will be the same way, but I didn't think it would hurt to have someone evaluate their levels now.  Anyways, two women came to our house, from our school district, for 2 hours and it was a much more emotional experience than I was expecting.  Maybe it's because no parent wants to admit that their child is less than perfect, maybe because all of the "what-ifs" in my head of how this delay could have been prevented, maybe because of the demeanor of one of the evaluators that came, maybe a combination of all of the above.  Regardless, they tested them in a lot of different areas to see what they were capable of, but they gave a much "worse" performance than I was expecting - meaning some things that they asked them to do, that they are fully capable of doing, they wouldn't do.  Part of it, I think, was because  strangers were asking them to do things.  Logan warmed up quite easily and did a few things that he was asked to do, but after he did that, he wanted to go play with his blocks.  Well, when the woman kept asking him to point out pictures in a book she had, he didn't really seem interested.  Ellis wasn't really interested in anything the one woman was asking him to do.  She is the lady I wasn't really impressed with.  Maybe it was her mannerisms, the way she talked, too bold, too forceful, I can't really put my finger on it but I don't think it was a very welcoming way to expect a 2 year old to just comply to her requests.  Anyways, after they left (and of course the boys complied to everything I asked after they left - go figure), we went about our day.  A few hours later, as I was just about to leave to take my final, I got a phone call saying they did both qualify for services.  They will be receiving a home visit once a week to work on specific goals they will have and then they will be going to a parent/tot class with other 2 year olds where they will have a little more structured play time where they have little lessons linked in with their playing.  So now that I'm over the shock of everything, I think this will be a good experience for all of us.  It'll be good to see how they present things to them, because obvious speech therapists know the tricks of the trade, and incorporate it with the everyday things at home that we do.  Sure, I may be a teacher, but I have zero experience in early elementary or speech.

As I try to be more reflective myself, I was watching the skills they asked them to do, and realized that now is a good time to start getting them to sit for a few minutes at a time for more structured activities.  They love sitting with us to read books, play with puzzles, play-doh, etc., but usually its directed by them.  I don't force them to go play with a puzzle or read a book.  Those are just activities they like to do on a daily basis.  I want them to get used to sitting down at a given time and doing an activity that I choose for them.  This is definitely something they will have to get used to and I think that although they are okay with doing that for a few minutes at a time, having 2 hours of prompted activities, was just too much for them.  I was planning on putting little activities together for them to do over the summer, focused on age-appropriate skills, but I might start a little earlier and start things on the weekends with them.  One skill that Ellis wouldn't do when they were here, was putting coins in a bank - showing fine motor skills.  I think it was because the lady was trying to interest him into it by shaking the coins in the bank, which made a pretty loud noise.  Well, anyone who knows Ellis knows that he does not like loud noises, so right there I knew he wasn't going to do it.  The next day, I decided to pull out his bank and give him some pennies to put in there and he wouldn't stop doing it.  We even had to empty it again and let him put all the coins back in.  So there, mean lady, he can do it!  =)


Between the evaluation and my final, I was happy when Tuesday was over!

So, on that same topic, I couldn't help but smile this weekend every time Logan said a new word.  Last week he started saying cheers, but I about died when my parents were over and he said "cheers papa" to my dad.  My mom, dad, and I looked at each other like "did you just hear that?" and we all did. It was too cute!  He also repeated the color "red" referring to his blocks, and "pop" referring to popping the bubbles I was blowing.  Today he said "choo choo" while playing with his trains.  Then Ellis found some of their older baby toys that they don't really play with (they just like to empty the container and fill it back up) and all on his own, we heard:



Maybe it is all just a matter of time, but hopefully the services they will be getting will help speed up their speech development a little bit and lessen the frustration they have when trying to tell us what they want.

On to the happier part of the week - Wednesday to today.  Earlier this week we had pasta for dinner.  Logan, for some reason, likes to try to stick his finger in the hole of the pasta, and this dinner was no different.  I think he was actually quite pleased with himself when he was able to fit the rotini on his fingers so easily.  Too funny!


On Friday we were outside and I brought out a frisbee I got for Bella.  Well, the boys were more interested in running around getting it than Bella was, so why not wear them out running back and forth in the backyard?!?  At one point, Logan got it faster than Ellis and Ellis pouted.  So, Logan threw the frisbee down on the ground, Ellis went to go pick it up and then went up to Logan and gave him a high five as if saying "thank you."  It was the cutest thing ever!!!  Totally wish I had that on video!

Yesterday, after a little bit of drama with Toys R Us, we got the boys playground that we bought them for their birthday.  My parents came over to help put it together and with the awesome weather, we were outside all day.  I didn't realize how many pieces were in this set, but lets just say its a lot more intricate than I was expecting.  The directions said it would take about 8-10 hours to put it together, but with directions that weren't always clear, it was obvious that it was going to take more than what they suggested.  After about 8-ish hours working on it (stopping for lunch and dinner), Troy and my dad got more than half of it done.  Unfortunately the lack of daylight put an end to their work around 9ish, but it was probably a good thing - everyone was exhausted!  Today, Troy got a few more steps done, but the lovely rain again prevented him from continuing to work on it.  Hopefully doing a little bit here and there this week after work, we can have it done soon so the boys can enjoy it.  I took pictures of the process, but will post those once it's completely done!  =)  A huge thanks to my parents for all their help yesterday!

Well, thats it for now.  Hopefully everyone enjoys the nice weather we're supposed to have this week!

1 comment:

Shaun said...

There's nothing to worry about, us boys come around and do things when we're finally ready to. They'll be fine and are going to be late bloomers - it runs in the family.