Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering Today

It's one of those moments you will never forget - where you were when you heard about the World Trade Center attacks. I was at Central and had my Nature Study class that morning at 9am. I remember going to class and my professor being late. He walked in and said that class was cancelled (the entire school, in fact, closed down for the day) and mentioned briefly what had happened. Of course I was clueless of what he was talking about -- I was walking to class when the planes actually hit the WTC. I walked back to our apartment and watched the news. Such a surreal event. I couldn't believe something like that could have happened in the U.S. It was like a scene from the movies. What really hit home was watching the ticker at the bottom of the screen and how it mentioned that many National Guard members would be called to active duty. Troy and I weren't together at the time (it was after our first breakup), but I remember calling him to see if he knew anything about being called to active duty since he was in the National Guard at the time. Obviously it was too soon to know anything, but it was a very scary thing to think he might have to go, after such a tragedy happened. To the almost 3000 people who lost their lives that day, you will never be forgotten. And to the millions of soldiers, including Troy, who have served our country since this horrible event, thank you for risking your lives to make our lives better. Such selflessness goes into being a soldier...

This weekend was a busy one, again! Troy spent a majority of the day yesterday working in the basement. He sanded the mud that was applied last weekend with my dad and then touched up places that needed it. Our hope is that he can sand one last time this week so he can paint the ceiling on Friday and maybe start painting walls on Sunday! We also think we will be getting carpet downstairs instead of cork, for a few different reasons, so we might go check out prices, colors, types, etc. this week sometime so we can get that figured out.

Last night of course was the mighty University of Michigan/Notre Dame game! I only stayed up for half the game (of course the boring half), but heard all about it when I woke up. Troy watched the entire thing and even recorded the last two minutes of the game for me to watch!

Today was a mix of cleaning, grocery shopping, yard work, school work, football, and relaxing. Troy and I are both playing fantasy football, so of course we watched as much football as possible and kept our computers nearby for constant updates! Ellis even enjoyed watching a little bit of football...

Logan didn't mind football, but had more fun having quite the conversation with Sophie (his teething toy!)


As for me, I'm happy the first week of school is over with. It actually wasn't too bad -- once I got there. The most stressful part was the commute for 2 of the days. I'm leaving about 10 minutes later than I did last year, but it took me over an hour (one day, an hour and a half), which made me late both days...not good when I had things to do before school started. I think a lot of it had to do with all the rain, because Friday I left just a little bit earlier and I got there in about 35 minutes. Between that and trying to figure out how to get all my work done and my pumping in, during my breaks, it was a little hectic. Now, I think I've got it all figured out and hopefully it will be smooth sailing from here on out. If only I can fight this cold that suddenly came on around 2pm before it gets worse...

As for the boys, nothing major new with them. LOTS of chatting (at 6am this morning they were quite the chatterbugs, but luckily for me they fell back asleep until 7am) and LOTS of drooling. Still no physical signs of teething - no swollen gums - but lots of drooling and putting everything possible in their mouth. Ellis did start playing with his ears a bit, although that could mean a variety of things, so who knows if any teeth will be showing anytime soon. Their naps have been shortening lately -- their late afternoon nap has gone from 2 hours long to 1 hour at most. During the week, this is the time that they are in the car driving home with me, which is 1 hour at most, so I don't know if they are just getting used to that, or if they are getting to the age where they don't need that long of a nap at that time.

Well, its time to feed the boys and put them to bed. I hope everyone enjoyed their beautiful weekend (I thought the weather forecast mentioned rain for a majority of the weekend, but it was quite beautiful here!) and have a great upcoming week!

No comments: