Thursday, August 22, 2013

A day in the life...

What a day week!  This week I was back to school - a new school.  While this school is definitely more organized than the last one I work at, there is always a little adjustment just because of the new setting, new procedures, new paperwork, etc.  I'm getting an awesome vibe from the staff so far though.  Hoping that good vibe continues.

As most of you know, the boys were supposed to start day care this week (just two days to start with), but Sunday night/Monday morning around 3am, Ellis got sick and was pretty much up until 5am throwing up.  So, no day care for Monday or Tuesday like planned, so technically today was their first day.  And what a great day!  My nerves didn't last too long this morning since I was able to talk to Troy about the drop-off before heading into work.  He said they were good and didn't have any issues when he left (although it probably helped that she turned on a show while other kids showed up before breakfast).  One main reason we switched to a home day care at kind of the last minute was because of how motherly she was with the kids.  When I stopped by a few weeks ago to get some information, we were chatting about some educational and developmental beliefs.  She has a Masters Degree in Psychology and is getting her PhD in Early Child Education, so she bases a lot of her child care on researched practices and has a Montessori-type style, which I like.  She made comments that she likes to take pictures every so often and send them to parents, so of course I was secretly hoping that she would do that today, and she did.

It was awesome - made me feel so happy to get pictures every hour or so on what they were doing.  So,  here is a picture version of "a day in the life" at day care (with the text messages we got along with the pictures):
Happy and doing great!  (8:06am)
Enjoying watching the birds and squirrels (8:12am)

Time for breakfast (8:24am)

Time to play outside (9:30am)




Hi mom, hi dad.  I'm having fun.

Indoor play (10:57am)

Making friends and sharing very well



Lunch time (12:06pm)
Nap time - fell asleep right away (12:40pm)
Ellis slept all the way until 3pm and Logan just before 3pm, which is shocking because I'm lucky Ellis will nap for 1.5 hours at home.  Goes to show when he's busy with other kids in a different setting, it just wore him out!

I picked them up just before 5pm and they were standing at the door (another boy was just leaving) so they saw me before I even got out of the car.  Ellis received a good report and she said he was very mellow, yet social throughout the day (yes, she's talking about Ellis!!).  Logan was also good - a little clingier to her, following her around a bit.  He didn't whine much but did a bit when she was out of his sight for a minute.  Otherwise, they were very good.  Such a proud mama here!  Now, I'm just hoping they repeat this tomorrow, that this isn't just a honeymoon phase.  When we first started speech classes, they were good the first day and then the next time we went (although its only once a week so the frequency isn't as high), they were a mess and didn't want to participate in anything.  Hopefully this is not like that and they have a great day tomorrow!  Having such a good report the first day confirms our decision to change them to the in-home day care versus the bigger day care setting!

Now, I know I was on a bit of a hiatus with blogging.  I was trying to enjoy the last few weeks of summer with the boys and honestly didn't want to spend time blogging about it.  So, just trust me when I say we had lots of fun.

So, I'll end this post with a few shout-outs!  First, a huge thank you to Grandma Bush for coming out and watching the boys Tuesday and Wednesday.  She was originally going to watch them Wednesday-Friday (since we were planning only 2 days of day care this week to work them into it), but because Ellis got sick, she saved us by coming a day earlier.  The boys definitely enjoyed spending time with her and we enjoyed the visit too!

Also, thanks to all of you sending positive thoughts for me and the boys today.  It was greatly appreciated and helped me get through the day easier!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I love this! It's going to be an adjustment for everyone, but they will really thrive there. Glad to hear all is well with your new school too. :) Happy weekend!! xo